Tuesday, February 25, 2003

What fun, shopping is. I could write page after page on the wonders of shopping. I suppose it might be a bit estrogen-fueled, but I know plenty of men that enjoy a good shopping fix as much as women. And I know women that hate shopping too. Anyway, I digress.

One of the distracters of the whole experience, is those damn retailers. Well, not just any retailer. I guess I’m thinking more of the grocery store, drugstore type of set up. What bugs me is the rush. No, not the mental rush you get when you find a bargain, more the rushing of the ‘seasons’. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when I see shelves crammed with red and pink heart adorned items - the week after Christmas!

The business of retail, is that. A business. I guess if they sell seasonal items, they have to have a seasonal section, and that section must be filled at all times with something, appropriate or not. It’s good to think ahead. I get that. But it reaches a point where it is all so silly. For example, the local grocery store is now festooned with shiny green garland, and emerald shamrocks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m mostly Irish, and I love St. Patrick’s Day, but it seems a little forced to me. How much can you build up this holiday, in a grocery store? Sure, you’ll want your brisket, some carrots, cabbage, and of course, potatoes. Beer and Jameson’s, are more Irish staples, and available 3 stores away. But that’s about it, and why the fuss? The owners of this grocery chain, are Greek to boot. So, if we’re going to get all snazzy for holidays, I wouldn’t mind seeing blue and white decorations on Greek Independence Day. For that matter, why not blue, white and red, on Bastille Day. That is, when the French are no longer on the merde list. Or some jammin’ reggae in the P.A. on Bob Marley’s Birthday. Now that’s shopping! Yah mon!

No comments: